ATOMS EXposure Measurement integrated system
Resonance Ltd. has developed a system to expose materials to thermal atomic oxygen and VUV-UV light that simulates low earth orbit conditions. Oxygen atoms are produced upstream from the exposure chamber by RF dissociation of O2. Atomic oxygen concentrations to 10^15 atoms/cm^3 can be generated with the high power RFX-500 generator. This is comparable to an atomic oxygen flux of roughly 2x10^16 cm^2/sec (equivalent 5 eV atomic flux measured with Kapton dosimeter).
The oxygen density profile across the material sample can be measured in-situ with the Resonance Ltd. Atomic Oxygen Density Profiler using the technique of resonance absorption. A beam of light from an atomic oxygen 130.2 nm resonance lamp is directed across the exposure chamber. This light is absorbed by the oxygen atoms in the chamber and the amount of absorption is measured by a VUV solar blind diode. The density profile across the sample can be determined by scanning the optical path.
Resonance can also provide UV and VUV sources that simulate the solar spectrum in order to evaluate the effects of exposure to UV and atomic oxygen simultaneously. The Atomic Oxygen Density Profiler and Solar Simulator Sources can be easily adapted to existing atomic oxygen exposure systems.
Resonance offers three complete ATOMS systems to suit a variety of applications and budgets: The deluxe system (ATOMS-SX); the standard system (ATOMS-S); and the budget system (ATOMS-C). Both the ATOMS-SX and the ATOMS-S systems include exposure to atomic oxygen and VUV radiation, as well as in-situ atomic oxygen density measurement.
- Subsystems and options
Oil Free Pump
> 1015 ph/cm2/s
> 5x1015 ph/cm2/s
> 2x1015 ph/cm2/s
AO Exposure Chamber
AO Density Profiler
VUV Solar Simulator
Single VUV/UV Source
RF Oxygen Power (W)
- Complete system, including pump, mounted in standard 47.5 cm (19 in) rack
- Standard system is in full-height 1.8 m (72 in) rack
- Budget system is mounted in half height rack
- In-Situ Atom and Molecule Absorption and Fluorescence Measuring Systems
- OAMS and NAMS Oxygen Absorption and Nitrogen Atom Measuring Systems
- Profiling Systems - Irradiance, Atomic Oxygen Density and Atomic Nitrogen Density Profilers
Simulates Low Earth Orbit
Samples exposed to continuous stream of thermal oxygen atoms.
Atomic oxygen flux of 2x10^19 cm^2/sec (up to 2x10^16cm^2/sec equivalent 5 eV atomic oxygen flux measured with Kapton dosimeter)
Measurable erosion of Kapton in 1/2 hour. Typical sample exposure time is 2 hours
Samples are downstream from active plasma and are not exposed to uncontrolled ions, metastables or UV radiation as in plasma ashers
Simultaneous solar simulation is available with 3 VUV & UV sources.
In-Situ Atomic Oxygen Density
Atomic oxygen density profile across sample can be measured by resonance absorption.
Each subsystem can be purchased as a part of a complete ATOMS system or as a product on its own.
Atomic Oxygen Exposure Chamber (AO-EC)
- Pyrex vacuum chamber
- Quick dismount 5cm diameter circular specimen holder
- Gas inlet manifold
- Outlet pumping manifold with ozone filter & throttle valve
- Multiple ports for extra sample holders, RGA, Atomic Oxygen Density Profiler, VUV/UV Solar Simulator
- Dual Thermocouple gauges for pump & system pressure
VUV/UV Solar Simulator (VUV/UV/SS)
- 3 VUV/UV sources covering 115-400nm
- Irradiates sample with > one solar equivalent of VUV and UV light
- CF mounting flange with lamp adapter (3 sets)
- Lamps included:
- Krypton Continuum source (KrCM-L)
- Xenon Continuum source (XeCM-L)
- Xenon Flashlamp (XeCQ-LF)
- Two models of In-Situ system (measure atomic or molecular density through different means)
- In-Situ Atom and Molecule Absorption Measuring System
- In-Situ Atom and Molecule Fluorescence Measuring System
- Species determined by the type of lamp and detector used
- Species include atomic Oxygen, Nitrogen, Chlorine and Hydrogen as well as molecular OH, NO and CO
- Detection limits of:
- 10^9 atoms or 10^12 molecules per cm^3 for a 10cm path with Absorption Measuring System
- 10^6 atoms or 10^9 molecules per cm^3 for a 10cm path with Fluorescence Measuring System
- Both systems "plug and run" and include everything required to make measurements
Density Profiling System
- For atomic Oxygen or atomic Nitrogen profiling
- Measures irradiance across sample
- Has four detectors covering 110 - 1000 nm
Light Sources, Spectrometers, Monochromators, Detectors , Components and Systems from Extreme Ultraviolet (EUV) to Infrared (IR)
Resonance Ltd | Telephone (705)733-3633
143 Ferndale Drive North, Barrie, Ontario L4N 9V9 Canada